For the flaky pastry dough:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
8 ounces cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
1/4 cup vegetable shortening (no trans-fat), cut into small pieces
6 tablespoons cold water
For the peach filling:
- 8 ripe peaches peeled, pitted and sliced 1/4 inch thick
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground cardamon
- 1/2 vanilla bean, seeds only
- 3 tablespoons butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 425′ F.
- Make the dough: Place the flour, sugar and salt in the bowl of a food processor. Pulse a few times to combine.
- Add the butter and the shortening and pulse until the mixture looks like coarse crumbs.
- Add the cold water and pulse until the dough comes together. Do not overwork!
- Reserve in the refrigerator until use or roll 1/2 of the dough to 1/4 inch thickness and line a buttered 9 inches pie pan.
- Make the filling: Place the slice peaches, the sugar, the cornstarch, the lime juice, the ground cardamon and the vanilla bean seeds into a large bowl and toss until well combined, let it rest for 15 minutes.
- Pour the filling into the bottom crust and dot with butter.
- Cover with the remaining dough rolled out to 1/4 inch thickness.
- Cut steam vents and brush the top of the pie with an eggwash.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 425′f then reduce heat to 350′f and bake until juices bubble through the vents, 30 to 35 minutes more.
- Let cool on a rack before serving. Best the day it is baked.