(The untold story that got your Zen-ness into culinary school. For better or for worse!)
Under a caramel sky, a fluffy meringue ‘iceberg’ was floating away on a sea of vanilla custard, in it’s shadow, the legendary and ferocious Zen Blackbeard was waiting on the deck of his pirate ship plotting a surprise attack. The target was a ship of the Royal fleet carrying vast quantities of precious Tahitian vanilla beans destined to be offered as a gift for the hand of the King’s eldest daughter. When the ship got to striking distance the pirates sneaked-up behind it skillfully. Zen Blackbeard rapidly gave orders:
– ‘Ahoy buccaneers! Take your position!’ and turning to one of his trusted lad, said:
– ‘Hornswaggle!! Run a shot across the bow and disable that ship!’
Hornswaggle – a big and clumsy gunpowder lad – followed the order and fired a single cannonball – killing the Captain of the Royal carrier instead. Everyone was in awe.
– ‘Shiver me timbers!’ exclaimed Hornswaggle surprised by his lucky shot.
– ‘Holy Waffles!’ cried-out the crew of the Royal ship in unison.
– ‘Son of a biscuit eater!!’ shouted Zen Blackbeard with amazement.
– ‘Blop!’ bubbled the fishes.
After a period of scuffle and chaos onboard, the sailors of the Royal vessel finally surrendered to the vanilla thirsty pirates.
– ‘Hornswaggle!! Your weight in vanilla beans!’ shouted Zen Blackbeard and turning to his lads:
– ‘Get me some cackle fruit, some rum and some chocolate while you’re at it! Let’s feast!!’
–‘Let’s send him to culinary school… he needs discipline!’
This was the moment, ladies and gentlemen, that sealed my destiny forever!
For your share of the treasure valiant pirates, don’t forget to submit your entry to the Vanilla Bean Giveaway before Friday at midnight. And when you get your hands on the bounty – why not make some ile flottante? This retro/back in the spotlight French dessert is a great way to experience vanilla in all it’s glory. Ahoy me hearties!!
(serves 6 people)
For the custard:
- 5 egg yolks
- 2 cups milk
- 2 oz sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, splitted and seeds scraped
For the meringue:
- 5 egg whites
- 1 cup sugar
For the caramel: For the meringue: For the custard : For the caramel: To Serve, place some of the vanilla custard in a shallow plate or bowl, place a meringue in the middle. Put a caramel nest on top and serve. The combination of flavors is amazing.Enjoy.
For the meringue:
For the custard :
For the caramel:
To Serve, place some of the vanilla custard in a shallow plate or bowl, place a meringue in the middle. Put a caramel nest on top and serve. The combination of flavors is amazing.Enjoy.