This is officially my favorite soup, i don’t know how to describe it except that it’s the bomb! If you’re familiar with Thai food/flavors you know exactly what i’m talking about. Fresh and bright flavors that pops with the depth of red curry paste and the richness from the coconut milk. The sticky rice brings it full circle… ya know what i mean?
The moral of the story? In desperate situations consult the refrigerator Gods and your inner chef before hanging yourself. If they don’t answer.. well, go ahead!
For the soup:
- 1 quart FRESH chicken stock (otherwise don’t bother)
- 1 tablespoon peanut oil
- 1/2 inch chunk of galangal or ginger, peeled
- 1 lemongrass stalk, chopped
- 2 kaffir lime leaves (or strips of lime zest)
- 2 or 3 shiitake mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbs red curry paste
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- Salt to taste
- a few drops fish sauce (optional)
For the garnish:
- 1 cup sticky rice, cooked
- 8 jumbo shrimps
- julienne of snow peas, carrots, peppers
- cilantro, cleaned
- lime, juice & zest
- black sesame seeds or peanuts (optional)
- Heat the peanut oil in a medium saucepan, add the ginger (or galangal), lemongrass, red curry paste and stir fry for a minute, until fragrant. Add the chicken stock, the coconut milk, the cream and the lime leaves and bring to a boil. Simmer for 15 minutes until the broth is slightly reduced with a nice creamy consistency. Strain the liquid and discard the ginger, lemongrass and lime leaves. Return the soup to the pan and add the shiitake mushroom and simmer 3 more minutes. Adjust seasoning. Add a few splashes of fish sauce if using. Add more curry, lime juice if necessary. Listen to your inner chef.
- While the soup is simmering, grill the shrimps on a skewers. Season with sea salt. Sautee quickly the julienne of vegetables (10 seconds).
- Place some sticky rice at the bottom of the bowls, pour the soup around it. Place the julienne and the grilled shrimps on top. Sprinkle with cilantro, lime zest and sesame seeds or peanuts. Serve hot and enjoy!