I was recently contacted by the lovely Susanna from the Grass-fed Party, asking if i’d like to try some La Cense beef and host a giveaway for you, my beloved readers. Needless to say, i promptly accepted. La Cense is a great company that does direct-to-home beef and supports sustainable agriculture. They let their beautiful black angus cows graze in the open pastures of Montana instead of… feeding them the kind of chemically engineered crap they sell at Walmart – the stuff that makes you glow in the dark even-though you know you’re not a Saint. La Cense does it just the way cow-boys used to… with lots of luv’.
This is what’s at stake today ladies and gentlemen, some good ol’ cow-boy loving!
I was extremely pleased with the grass-fed NY strip-steak they sent me, i marinated it with harissa and olive oil and broiled it at high temperature to seal-in the juices and create a spicy crust, and served it with a bright and ‘green’ italian salsa verde. I subcontracted a friend to try the ribeye steak for me and words praising its tenderness were heard in faraway lands. It was described as one of a kind. The ground sirloin was turned into a zenburger and was gulped down in-style by the zenman. It was everything you want a zenburger to be, juicy and flavorful.
– 2 lbs La Cense ground steak
– 2 La Cense petite sirloin
All you have to do is leave a comment at the end of this post and you’re entered. Please note that this giveaway is opened to U.S residents only. I will pick a winner at random based on the amount of bribes deposited to my paypal account* and La Cense will directly ship the prize to the lucky winner. Easy as one, two, five!
*Ok, this is a joke. Unless you insist… **
**My paypal account is at: eprivatechef[at]yahoo[dot]com***
***This is a joke, yet again! Sheesh.. i’m cracking myself up ^^
You have until my return from Aspen on January 6th, 2009 at midnight (eastern time) to enter this giveaway. The winner will be announced soon after my return. People who enter several times will be spanked mercilessly with a wooden spoon, as cleverly illustrated. It’s gonna get ugly!
For the steak:
- 4 NY strip steaks
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoon harissa (blended in 1/4 cup olive oil)
For the Italian salsa verde:
- 1 tablespoon chopped capers
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 anchovies, mashed into a paste
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup italian parsley, chopped
- 1/4 basil, chopped
- 1 egg, hard boiled, and finely chopped
- salt, pepper and a pinch of sugar
- Combine the capers, mustard, anchovy paste, garlic, shallots, olive oil, parsley and basil. Add the chopped egg. Season to taste with pinches of salt, pepper and sugar. Serve at room temperature. The flavor should be very ‘green’.
- Season the steaks on both sides with salt and marinade in the harissa mixture for at least 30 minutes on the countertop.
- Preheat the broiler or grill. When ready, broil or grill until the marinade has caramelized and forms a crust. Turn the steaks and continue to cook until desired doneness, medium-rare that is.
- Let the steaks rest a few minutes before slicing them. Serve with salsa verde. Enjoy!