Back in 2006 I was partner in an avant-garde dessert bar called “Room 4 Dessert” in New York. It was a molecular think-tank for people with a sweet tooth and while things didn’t always run smoothly it was a very interesting experience for all of us involved. We didn’t have what it took to turn it into a commercial success but for the two years we were open we managed to attract a lot of attention from the medias, and visits from chefs like Thomas Keller, Jean-Georges and Grant Achatz among many others. I wasn’t doing the cooking but one of my favorite dessert from the opening menu was what we called “chocobubbles” and consisted of a warm chocolate “foam” with apricots, cocoa crispies and Pedro Ximenez sherry. It was one of our simplest but most clever menu item.
The hot chocolate mousse could be enjoyed all by itself but feel free to add layers of chocolate chunks, rice crispies or macerated apricots or cherries for texture and surprise. Of course you’ll need a iSi thermo whipper and some N02 chargers. Just pour the hot chocolate in the bottle, charge it with two N02 charger, shake it hard, and keep it warm in a bain-marie if not using right away. This is also a great hot chocolate recipe on its own, if you don’t have an iSi whipper. Enjoy!
Hot Chocolate Mousse, “ChocoBubbles”
- Serves 4
For the Hot Chocolate Mousse :
- 5 oz. dark chocolate, preferably Valhrona 61%, chopped
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- pinch of cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon rum or sherry (optional)
- mini chocolate chunks
- macerated apricots or cherries
- cocoa rice crispies
- caramelized corn flakes
For the Hot Chocolate Mousse:
- Place the chocolate, the sugar, salt, cinnamon and half the milk in a saucepan over low heat and cook, stirring, until the chocolate has melted.
- Dissolve the cornstarch in the remaining milk and whisk it into the hot chocolate mixture. Cook on low heat, whisking constantly until the chocolate thickens, approximately 5 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, add the vanilla extract and rum if using, and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the hot chocolate into a iSi Thermo Whipper, place the top on, and charge with 2 N02 chargers. Shake vigorously.
- Keep in a bain marie if not using right away. Layer or top the hot chocolate mousse with the extras mentioned above.