I have to hurry and post this recipe before fresh peas totally disappear from the markets. Zenchef wants to stay seasonal although he’s been a bit bloglazy lately (yes it’s a new word). I hope health conscious people will appreciate the efforts i made here to incorporate a green vegetable into breakfast. This sneaky cover-up operation transformed a good old pancake into something seemingly… healthy! [cough-cough] All that healthiness was later canceled when i added a big scoop of creme fraiche to the final result. Hey, at least it wasn’t bacon!
I wasn’t even trying to make something healthy and for that matter – i wasn’t even trying to make something green. It’s just happens that peas are green.. and healthy. Weird. Not only these pancakes score a bright green color but they actually taste like sweet peas, which is what i was going for. Pea flavored breakfast food. No.. let me rephrase that. I wasn’t trying to make breakfast either. Those little suckers were served at a cocktail party and were really popular as such. I think i was just trying to make something orange and green with a touch of yellow because i suck at photography and can’t take picture of monochromatic dishes. Maybe i should’ve become a painter and not a chef. The smoked salmon works beautifully on these pea pancakes and with a dollop of creme fraiche and meyer lemon for the extra zinger you’re in for a treat. You could also add some salmon roe to this if you’re feeling crazy.
So here you have it, i mean… you’re on your own! Use these pancakes for breakfast, cocktail or dinner or whatever you like. They work well as frisbees too but without the topping. Fun!
Scotch Smoked Salmon with Pea Pancakes, Creme Fraiche and Meyer Lemon
- Inspired by a recipe by Bill Telepan
- Serves 4
For the pea pancakes:
- 4 ounces sugar snap peas
- 1 cup shelled fresh green peas, or frozen
- 3 tablespoons half & half
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- salt to taste
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup creme fraiche
- 6 ounces Scotch smoked salmon
- 1 Meyer lemon, segmented
- salmon roe (optional)
For the pea pancakes:
- Blanch the sugar snaps in a pot of salted boiling water, transfer to an ice bath and drain.
- Repeat the same step for the shelled peas and mash them with a fork.
- In a blender, combine the snap peas, and half & half and process until smooth.
- Add the egg, the flour, the baking powder, sugar and a pinch of salt and process for 15 seconds more.
- Transfer mixture to a medium bowl and fold in the mashed peas.
- Melt some butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat and drop tablespoons of batter into the pan. Flip the pancakes when lightly brown and finish cooking. Transfer to paper towels and keep warm.
- When ready to serve, place a slice of smoked salmon on a pancake topped with creme fraiche, salmon roe (if using) Meyer lemon and chives.